Monday, January 26, 2009

Hi all,

At our last session we discussed the future for support for lesbians living with cancer here at the Cancer Agency. It seems to me that the world is changing and perhaps we can look at a different kind of support. Our numbers are quite low and I am stretched beyond my limits but still want to offer something for our community.

We discussed perhaps a peer support program. This would mean at least there would be a visual presence in the form of a poster etc for lesbian support. At this time Vancouver Centre is piloting a navigational program for Chinese speaking people. Through this process our volunteer co-ordinator has developed a training program for those wishing to volunteer. This could be adapted for women wishing to volunteer for lesbians beginning their journey with cancer.

I am wondering if this could work for us. Ie. Having a peer support/outreach program through volunteer services with me being a consultant to the program.

In addition perhaps the odd special educational program for lesbians.

Another option for future is an on-line support group.

I would like feedback on this as there were just three of us involved in this discussion. AT this point I have not cancelled the group yet. I will go ahead with the FEB group for now.

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment